Image credit: Ingrid Pop
Summary of Project Grants
Experience Newquay is looking to commission a range of organisations to deliver cultural events, workshops and activities as well as create permanent installations across Newquay town centre. The work will contribute towards the creation and promotion of off-season experiential tourism products and sustainable year-round tourism.
There are 2 grants available:
- Project Grant 1: Cultural Activities
up to £7,500 (multiple awards) – this grant is for cultural activities (workshops, exhibitions, events, performances) with an element that has a lasting legacy.
- Project Grant 2: Permanent Installations
up to £30,000 (2 awards available) – this grant is for permanent installations in Newquay town centre. This could be murals, sculpture, lighting, creative play, street furniture or any other intervention that celebrates Newquay and improves the local infrastructure. Workshops and/or events for participants to take part are required in the process of conceiving and/or making the installation.
Experience Newquay is a project promoting sustainable year-round tourism whilst connecting local Cornish communities and visitors with Newquay’s unique identity via cultural activities and programming. The project will support and promote the local creative, leisure and heritage sectors, by providing a bespoke business training programme and supporting local businesses in the development of sustainable activities and itineraries that appeal to locals and visitors alike.
As part of the project, cultural infrastructure will be installed in Newquay’s town centre to improve and enhance its use. These interventions in the town will drive footfall to wider businesses and increase dwell time. These experiences will be promoted as a unique attraction to draw visitors to Newquay in the low season.
The main aims of the Experience Newquay project are:
- Increase footfall to town centre from October to March
- Increase visitor numbers to Newquay area from October to March
- Reduce CO2 emissions of visitors (transport)
Experience Newquay wants to commission organisations that will:
- Develop and deliver events, workshops, talks, exhibition etc in October/November/December 2024
- Create installations in Newquay’s town centre
- Lead on inclusive engagement with participants and audiences
- Leave a permanent and tangible legacy for the town
- Create experiences that can be promoted as part of a marketing campaign for out-of-season tourism
Aims of commissions
- Ambitious, innovative & exciting
- Celebrating the unique nature and distinctiveness of the autumn and winter seasons
- Change perception of Newquay
- Encourages participation
- Sustainable and low carbon
Client and stakeholders
Experience Newquay is funded by Cornwall Council and the UK Government through the UK Shared Prosperity Fund.
The client for the project is Cornwall Council, specifically the Experience Newquay team, which sit in the Economy and Skills team, part of Sustainable Development and Growth.
Experience Newquay is working closely with partners in Newquay including Newquay Town Council, Newquay BID, Newquay Town Team and Visit Newquay.
The commissioning process is led by FEAST, part of Creative Kernow. They are the main point of contact for advice and support in regard to the cultural commissions.